Ryan S. Baumann
2401 W Alta Rd #3307
Peoria, IL 61615
309-868-1415 | [email protected]
Data engineer and business intelligence (BI) professional with proven skills creating customer value in a solutions business; 4+ years' experience building and implementing customer facing, production-ready, scalable solutions; Equally at home presenting to customers and developing code; Passionate about delivering value to businesses through data science and analytics.
Caterpillar, Inc. Peoria, IL
Resource Industries, Global Mining, Job Site Solutions Division (Production Optimization)
Product Specialist 2015-current
Sr. Engineer responsible for Production Optimization solutions and BI/Analytics adoption
- Lead Business Intelligence (BI) project to build a more scalable Caterpillar solutions business. Developed ETL processes, built BI models, created KPI dashboards and reports, and championed adoption of BI tools.
- Developed Geographic Information Systems (GIS) based analytics tools to categorize work site specific metrics. The innovation allowed the business to save a $1.3 million contract without adding additional capex.
- Designed analytics dashboards combining multiple data sources and types in Tableau to drive actionable items from GPS, machine ECM, telematics, and sensor data. Used analytics to drive value to solutions contracts worth over $500k.
- Effectively managed cross-functional team (IT, commercial, and customer) to deliver a new real-time recommendation solution based on SQL/Python analytics, BI Dashboards, and mobile tablets.
Sales Support Engineer 2013-2015
Engineer responsible for Production Optimization solutions
- Used data analytics (pareto analysis and Monte Carlo simulation) to provide production optimization recommendations to end customers. One production optimization contract earned the "Global Supplier of the Year" award by delivering a 30% work site productivity improvement over six months.
- Implemented network equipment on mobile machines. At one work site, measuring three months of continuous improvement projects lead to a network systems reliability increase from 50% to over 90%.
- Designed and rolled out technology solution for remote audio work site management using radio over IP (ROIP).
- Contributed to Caterpillar's IP portfolio with five patent applications (one patent-pending).
Leadership and Technical Development Engineer 2012-2013
- Mastered Caterpillar's technical rotational program, developing technical skills in product development and analytics
- Facilitated change as a product designer and analyst for tractor product. Used simulation tools and design for manufacturing techniques to reduce the weight of the product by 10% and increase expected component life by 20%.
- Developed SAP BI systems to replace legacy data analysis and visualization tools for a commercial solutions team.
Trek Bicycle Company Waterloo, WI
Product Development, Electronics Research and Development
Design Engineer Intern 2011-2012
- Designed and tested three electro-mechanical products ranging from lighting systems to suspension adjustment.
- Mastered effective storytelling and presenting skills by pitching engineering designs to a broad internal audience.
UNIVERSITY OF WISCONSIN-MADISON Madison, WI
BS Mechanical Engineering 2005-2010
- UW-Cycling National Teamleader (2006-2008), UW-Cycling pro mentor and coach (2009-2010)
- Managed engineering school workload while competing as a professional international cyclist (2007-2010)
Interests: Cycling, Running , Data Science, Web Development, Startups, Education